Interestshealth system strengthening; health policy and strategy development; health research and research synthesis; reproductive, maternal and child health; food security and nutrition.
Skillsappraising, analyzing and synthesizing evidence; quantitative and qualitative methods; writing, editing and presenting; strategic management using theory of change and logical framework; building capacity through training, coaching and mentoring; leadership through chairing, coordinating and facilitating.
Background and recent experienceMarion is a public health professional with more than 30 years experience in international development, including 13 years with the UK Department for International Development (DFID). She is currently co-chair of the Consortium Advisory Group (CAG) that supports the strategic direction of the DFID-funded Effective Health Care Research Programme led by the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine. Her recent consultancy assignments include:
- Team Leader for Review of Australia Dept for Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) bilateral health program in Timor-Leste
- Team Leader for DFID Uganda Protracted Crisis Research Programme for Karamoja: health and education systems
- Team leader for annual review of DFID program to strengthen Sierra Leone’s ability to detect and respond to future Ebola outbreaks and other public health emergencies
- Engaged by the European Commission (EC) to develop a tool for integrating nutrition interventions within health systems
- Engaged by DFID to develop an Evidence Resource for Integrating nutrition interventions within health systems
- Team Leader to develop DFID Business Case for Malaria and Health System Strengthening in Uganda
- Health Adviser, DFID Sierra Leone; strengthening resilience of the health system in the aftermath of the Ebola epidemic
- Team Leader for re-design of £30m sector budget support component of DFID Ghana Health Sector Support Programme
- Nutrition Expert, Ethiopia, working with EU Delegation and Member States to develop Joint Program on Nutrition
- DFID Ghana technical lead on Ebola preparedness, response to cholera, and review of sector budget support
- Team Leader, Mozambique Health Sector Strategic Stock-Take to explore options for new DFID investment
- Independent Performance Assessment, Health Sector Support Program / Sector-Wide Approach (SWAp), DFAT Solomon Islands
- Senior Health Specialist to develop AusAID health and nutrition strategy, advise on program design, and build capacity of team
Other:Marion is a British/American dual national currently based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Her language skills include excellent English (mother tongue) and some Amharic.
For a full CV email Marion at the address at the top of this profile.