Interests:Global health partnership policies and practices; global and national HIV policies and responses; integration of vertical health services; health systems strengthening; primary health care; aid effectiveness and aid modalities; policy change processes; technical support modalities; civil society organisations and advocacy.
Skillshealth policy analysis; evaluation design and implementation; strategy development and review; designing and implementing learning events; project and programme management and coordination; synthesis and report writing, independent peer review and quality assurance.
Background and relevant experience:Clare has 30 years of international development experience of working on short-and long-term engagements in East and Southern Africa, South and Southeast Asia. In the last five years, Clare has worked on a range of assignments for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, The Global Fund, WHO/UHC2030, UNAIDS in capacity as a team leader or team member. Examples include:
- USAID/UNAIDS (ongoing) Technical adviser for national strategic planning processes.
- UNAIDS (July 2021-Feb 2022 and ongoing) Deputy Team Leader for an evaluation of UNAIDS Joint Programme support to key populations; Team Leader for an evaluation of the Country Envelopes funding mechanism.
- The Global Fund (March 2018 – July 2020): Consultant, Strategic Review 2017-2022 Strategy; team management of the Global Fund’s Prospective Country Evaluations (PCE) in Cambodia, Mozambique, Myanmar, Sudan. Case study undertaken in Ethiopia.
- WHO UHC2030 (2017): Transitioning from external aid: Team Leader for mapping of development partner policies and practices and ongoing technical support to the technical working group on transition from external aid in the health sector and sustainability.
- Gates Foundation (2015/16): Evaluation of BMGF investments in advocacy for the Global Fund using theory-based evaluation and analytical methods.Case study undertaken in France.
- International Health Partnership+ (2016) Strategic inputs to a review of IHP+ constituency-based governance for UHC2030.
- CEPA (2016): Strategic inputs to the design and implementation of a review of the Global Fund/WHO Cooperation Agreement.
- Global Fund (2014/15): Strategic Review of the Global Fund’s 2012-2016 Strategy.
- UNAIDS (2014): Review of existing indicators for the elimination of parallel systems and HIV integration and development of options for future indicators (post-2015).
- Global Fund (2013/14): Review of Global Fund operations in Fragile States.
- UNDP (2013/14): Development of corporate strategy and organisation options for Swaziland’s National AIDS Commission.
- Ausaid (2012/13): Multi-donor strategic review of HIV in ten Asian countries. Case studies undertaken in Thailand and Indonesia.
- WHO (2012): Realist Evaluation of budget advocacy investments in Bangladesh, the Philippines and Uganda.
- OECD (2011): Synthesis report of aid effectiveness in the health sector prepared for the Task Team Health as a Tracer Sector for the Fourth High Level Forum in Busan, Korea, November 2011.
- UNDP (2010): External evaluation of the Joint UNDP/WB/UNAIDS Programme for Strengthening Capacity for integrating AIDS into PRSPs and National Development Plans
Qualifications:University of Manchester, Masters Education for Primary Health Care (1995); University College London, BSc Geography (1988)
Personal:Clare is British and lives in France. She has lived in Indonesia, Pakistan, Kenya, Bangladesh, and Japan. She has done short term work in Thailand, Indonesia, Cambodia, Myanmar, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Zambia, Swaziland, Uganda.
Voluntary work includes coordination of the Network for International Consultants in Health and Development (www.nichad.org); Board member of an international school in Paris; Board member Euro Health Group.