Interests:Aid architecture; aid effectiveness; global health partnerships and governance; funding modalities; health systems; national strategies; technical assistance; human resources for health; HIV/AIDS, TB, malaria; immunisation; maternal health; SRH; neglected tropical diseases.
Skills:Strategic review; strategy development and implementation; business model and policy development, review, optimisation; (multi-)stakeholder consultations; governance; organisational development and design; change management; risk management; operational management; management of country-global interface (including capacity assessment, grant management); collaboration and partnering; evaluation; project management; strategic HR and capability development; corporate/operational support services.
Background and relevant experience:David has over 20 years’ experience in health and development. He has worked as a consultant at McKinsey & Company (focusing on non-profit management); as Head of Strategy and Policy at the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria; as Director of Country Support (in charge of the grantmaking and management of the grant portfolio) at Gavi, The Vaccine Alliance; as Chief Operating Officer of Porticus, a large foundation; and as an independent consultant and senior advisor to global health entities, NGOs and foundations. Examples of David’s consulting work include:
- Unitaid — development of Unitaid’s strategy, facilitation of board strategy workshop, planning for implementation and progress monitoring.
- International AIDS Society — strategic review of IAS’s Industry Liaison Forum.
- WHO — review of the International Health Partnership (IHP+) over its 2007–2016 lifetime and identification of relevant lessons for global health coordination.
- GLIDE — design and facilitation of annual team retreat.
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (Faculty of Infectious and Tropical Diseases) — guidance and support for faculty’s development of its 10-year strategy.
- Unitaid — evaluation of Unitaid’s portfolio of COVID-19 investments.
- CEPI — independent outcome evaluation of CEPI’s portfolio.
- Global Fund — evaluation of the Fund’s support for accelerating equitable deployment of innovations.
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation — strategic review of the foundation’s relationship with a major multilateral agency and development of a cross-team strategy for future engagement.
Personal:David lives in Geneva. He is fluent in English and French, and has intermediate-level Spanish proficiency.
A CV is available by emailing David at the address at the top of this page.