- Health Systems Strengthening
- Effective Management of Health Systems
- Public Sector Reform and Improvement (particularly health and education)
- Health Financing and Insurance
- Hospital Management
- Capacity Strengthening
- Roles of Private Health Care
- Strategic Analysis and Planning
- Assessment of Programme Effectiveness
- Leadership of Multidisciplinary Teams
- Assessments of Operational Effectiveness
- Institutional Analyses
Background and relevant experience:Mike Naylor is a highly experienced and competent practitioner and consultant in the field of health systems strengthening. His career includes high-level experience in health services management with 40 years’ work in the UK's National Health Service and in developing countries, covering both the public and private sectors. In a seventeen-year career in the NHS he occupied senior planning and operational management roles including the CEO position in a major acute hospital trust. From 1996 to 2000, he was the Regional Coordinator and CEO of the Aga Khan Health Service in East Africa.
His advisory and consulting roles in developing countries began in Zimbabwe where from 1987 to 1990 he was the UK funded management advisor at the Ministry of Health. In 1996 he was a key member of the team providing advice to the South African government on hospital strategy.
Key aspects of his consulting work from 2001 have been in advising donors, recipient governments, and health service providers on how to make health services work for the poor through being more efficient, effective, and equitable. He has worked extensively with top and senior government and health care leaders, identifying key organisational and management issues and bottlenecks, and has identified and supported innovative ways to address them. He has proved himself particularly effective in blending the skills of diverse team members and giving particular emphasis to facilitating national consultants and women within those teams.
In 2012 he was the moving force behind the establishment of the HEART consortium and the Director of HEART up to June 2021. HEART won the prestigious DFID PEAKS and EACDS service contracts and the considerable reputation gained through delivery paving the way for other contracts including that for UNAIDS Technical Support Mechanism (HIV and AIDS).
He has undertaken the project director and team leader role in many large and complex technical assistance projects for a wide range of clients and donors, in Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Cambodia, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and Kazakhstan amongst many other countries. Mike led the teams delivering the DFID Primary Health Care Support Project in Georgia and the design of the next stage of Development Partner support to the health sector in Cambodia including the design of a performance related service delivery grant system. He led the challenging and complex project supporting the introduction of performance-based financing in Nigerian primary health care services. His skill in complex political environments was demonstrated in his leadership of the FCDO’s Education Project in Lebanon. He was the leader over nearly 10 years of the ground breaking projects funded by KfW in Pakistan supporting health insurance for the poor and poorest. He has worked in the challenging environments of Afghanistan and Iraq.
Mike is at ease working with all levels of stakeholders in the development community and worked extensively in Eastern and Southern Africa, West Africa, Asia, the Middle East and the former Soviet Union. He led or contributed to projects for DFID, GIZ, KfW, WHO, World Bank, Asian Development Bank, Inter-American Development Bank, and the African Development Bank, DANIDA, UNICEF.
- Lebanon (FCDO), Director, TA Support to Ministry of Education – 2018 to 2021
- Zimbabwe (FCDO, UNICEF, EU), Team Leader, Programme Monitoring and Planning – 2013 to 2017
- Bangladesh (KfW), Project Director, Support to the Development of Social Health Insurance – 2014 to 2017
- Nigeria (GoN and WB), Director, Results Based Financing Technical Assistance – 2013 to 2018
- Global (FCDO), Director, Fast Response TA and Knowledge Services through HEART Consortium – 2012 to 2021
- Cambodia (WB), Team Leader and Principal Consultant, Design of Partner Support to Health Strategic Plan – 2008 to 2009
- Gambia (AfDB), Team Leader, Feasibility Study for Private Hospital Development – 2013
- Bangladesh (FCDO), Team Leader and Principal Consultant, Review of Voice and Accountability in Health Sector – 2013
- Iraq (WHO), Team Leader, Health Component of Iraq Public Sector Modernization Programme – 2011
- Pakistan (KfW), Director, Social Health Protection Development Feasibility, Design, Support, and Monitoring – 2010 to 2021
- Kazakhstan (GoK), Team Leader and Principal Consultant, Twinning Arrangement for Health Finance Capacity Building and Strengthening Strategic Purchasing – 2010 to 2015