Interestshealth economics, financing, policy and strategy development and systems development.
SkillsPerformance monitoring and evaluation, economic analysis, and strategy development and review.
Background and relevant experienceMatthew has extensive experience in quantitative and qualitative research and analysis, as well as report writing for consultancy outputs, technical and educational publications, policy briefs, and fundraising events. His areas of expertise include: supporting the development and review of organisational, programmatic and investment strategies/ policies, including donor country strategies, resource mobilisation strategies and work plans; resource tracking; preparation of investment cases and briefs to influence policy; monitoring and evaluation (M&E), including programme evaluations to determine outputs, outcomes and impact, designing M&E frameworks, and cost-effectiveness and value for money (VfM) analyses; analysing market dynamics issues for commodities and developing sustainable market-based approaches; and provision of technical assistance and capacity building.
Matthew has worked closely alongside a range of development agencies, including ELMA Foundation, the European Union, UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) Prosperity Fund, the Gates Foundation, Gavi, Health Metrics Network, Medicines Patent Pool (MPP), Partnership for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (PMNCH), Public Health England, Stop TB Partnership, TB REACH, UNICEF, UNITAID, USAID, Wellcome Trust and WHO. Indicative examples of Matthew’s work in recent years include:
- Development of organisational and programmatic ToCs for Gavi’s next strategic period (2020-21).
- Evaluation of the Prosperity Fund Better Health Programme (2019-21).
- Evaluation of PHE Public Health Rapid Support Team (2019-21).
- Evaluation of PHE International Health Regulations Strengthening Project (2019-21).
- Global Fund Strategic Review 2020 (2020).
- VfM assessment of the Millennium Development Goal Initiative: Accelerating progress towards maternal, neonatal and child morbidity and mortality reduction in Zambia (2020).
- Assessment of COVID-19 Prevention, Preparedness, and Response in North East Syria (2020).
- Development of a Theory of Change for Wellcome Trust and Gavi’s engagement in supporting country decision making for new vaccine introduction (2019).
- Thematic review of the Global Fund Sustainability, Transition and Co-financing Policy (STC) (2019).
- Evaluation of Gavi’s Gender Policy (2018-19).
- Evaluation of Gavi’s support to CSOs (2018).
- Evaluation of ELMA Unfinished Business program in South Africa and Uganda (2018).
- Global Fund Prospective Country Evaluations (PCE; 2017-20).
- Global Fund Strategic Review 2017 (2017).
- Evaluation of UNICEF’s PMTCT and paediatric HIV/AIDS programme (2016).
- PMNCH Analysis of the political, institutional and technical context of short and medium-term ODA for SRMNCAH (2017).
- Global Fund Analysis to guide the Technical Evaluation and Review Group’s (TERG) position on absorptive capacity (2017).
- Gates Foundation rapid assessment of the comprehensive Multi-Year Planning (cMYP) process in multiple countries (2016-17).
- Mid-term review of the UNITAID Improving Severe Malaria Outcomes project (2015).
- Evaluation of UNITAID’s grant to TB REACH for the procurement of GeneXpert machines (2015).
- WHO development of an investment case for CRVS systems in Mozambique, Bangladesh and Kenya (2014).
- HMN Development of an investment case for CRVS systems (2012).
- Gavi strategic consultancy on organisational approach to earmarked funding (2011/12).
- Gavi evaluation of the IFFIm (2010/11).
- GAIN appraisal of a proposal to introduce Micronutrient Powders (MNP) for home fortification in Nigeria (2013).
- Mid-term evaluation of the TB REACH initiative (2012/13).
- Evaluation of Gavi’s support to CSOs (2011/12).
- WHO Vaccine Preventable Diseases Programme Area Network retreat (2016).
- PMNCH country case studies on progress towards MDGs 4 and 5 (2013).
- Operational review of the Medicines Patent Pool (2013).
- PMNCH 2013 report on commitments to the Global Strategy for Women’s and Children’s Health (2013).